Tuesday, April 12, 2011

"Its Not Politically Correct, but..." Adam Gluntz on Conversational Politics

My Close Friend and Comrade Adam Gluntz has once again written a nice piece. Give it a read!
-Caleb


Politically Correct
by Adam Gluntz


Let me tell everyone something right now: if you ever EVER begin a sentence with the phrase "I know it might not be politically correct to say this, but...", whomever you're addressing has the full right to punch you in the face before you finish your sentence. Let me translate what with sentence means: "I know I may reinforce oppression by saying this, but since my opinion is more important than oppressed peoples' well-being, I'm going to say it anyway:..." THAT'S what you're actually saying. Society is not oppressing you by making you actually be considerate of how YOUR WORDS may affect others. That's called basic fucking moral responsibility. Also, the phrase "I'm not racist, but..." means "I don't want people to think I'm a racist for my racist beliefs." The same could be say for sexism and every other kind of -ism, although many of those usually start with "I have no problem with , but ". So instead of bemoaning how "oppressed" you are by "political correctness", why don't you actually do the right thing and fucking THINK before you talk.



It's not hard.

No comments: